Saturday, February 6, 2016

Slam Poetry

Man, this blog is so fun, I just get to talk about the things I love. For the last couple of months, I've really been into the idea of "Slam Poetry." It's like normal poetry recitation, but the individuals usually dive into deep personal subjects and they're so passionate in their delivery. Some of the common topics that these poets choose to write their slam poems about are their sexuality, mental illness, racial injustice, feminism, body image, and their relationships with others. I think it's the coolest idea, and I would love to write and perform a slam poem someday. But for now, thank goodness that there are thousands of slam poets on Youtube. 

Here are some of my favorites:


Neil Hilborn - "OCD" (Rustbelt 2013)
In this slam poem, the author explains his OCD and "the first beautiful thing he ever got stuck on." This is seriously one of my favorites and I've watched it at least once a day since I found it a few months back. WARNING: he does swear once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnKZ4pdSU-s

Olivia Gatwood - "Manic Pixie Dream Girl" (WoWPS 2015)

In this poem the poet talks about the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope, which is basically a trope regarding a girl character who exists only to teach the male protagonist how to let go and live life to the fullest. The only catch is, this girl is not a realistic expectation for a woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJjJfE_QNMY


Melissa May - "Dear Ursula" (WoWPS 2014)

Here's a really good one too - it's a poem addressed to Ursula the sea witch in The Little Mermaid and how we live in a perfectionist society. WARNING: she swears a few times in this. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLSnNSqs_CQ 

No comments:

Post a Comment